Sharp perspectives. Deep expertise. Cutting-edge innovations. Purposeful Connections is your bi-weekly source for the latest in purpose and ESG. Subscribe here.
Almost any time an organization sets out to address a social issue, they face the challenge of misconceptions. We saw this at a global level in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic (and many misconceptions still persist, especially when it comes to vaccines and public health). Misconceptions can be tricky at best, and dangerous in certain situations. Some organizations have made it their mission to challenge misconceptions head-on, like Shuggie's Trash Pile serving a menu composed only of food waste, or Action Against Hunger highlighting the fact that regions with the greatest need don't always get the greatest amount of aid. Mercedes-Benz is challenging the misconception that performance cars can't go green and that major companies can't hold themselves accountable. This week's episode of Purpose 360 explains some misconceptions about NFTs, their use for good, and their environmental impact. And the Obama Foundation's new Get Her There campaign chips away at the misconception that girls can't change the world.
A new report from Action Against Hunger, "The Hunger Funding Gap: How The World is Failing to Stop the Crisis," reveals a decades-long trend of rising humanitarian needs against declining UN appeals fulfillment. Currently, only 7% of urgent hunger-related funding appeals are fulfilled, leaving a gap of 93%. Countries with the greatest hunger needs aren't receiving a larger share of funding either — exacerbating an already dire situation. "While money isn’t the only answer, it must be part of the solution," said Michelle Brown, Advocacy Director, Action Against Hunger USA. "As a global community concerned about hunger, we all need to put our money where our mouths are."
Would you like a side of trash with your entrée? Shuggie's Trash Pie, a San Francisco eatery, does indeed have "trash" on the menu — but it's perfectly good and deliciously prepared. The restaurant's menu changes depending on what ingredients local farmers plan on throwing out — either because they have a surplus or because the ingredients wouldn't otherwise be sold to grocery customers. For example, Shuggie's uses "spent" oats that were used to make oat milk; swordfish belly, a less desirable but tasty cut; and "ugly" produce. Why? "Between 30% and 40% of all the food grown in the U.S. is wasted. That’s not just a landfill problem, but a climate problem, and eliminating that waste could play a meaningful role in fighting climate change."
FastCompany: At this restaurant, everything on the menu is trash
"When girls get the education they deserve, our world gets better." The Girls Opportunity Alliance, an initiative of the Obama Foundation, just launched Get Her There, a "global call to action to educate and empower adolescent girls around the world to reach their full potential." Currently, more than 100 million girls are without access to a proper education. This powerful campaign, developed by Purpose Collaborative member Public, aims to help more girls access education and opportunity.
Girls Opportunity Alliance: Get Her There
Loans are going "green." Sustainability-linked loans tie interest payments to the issuer's achievement of sustainability targets. One of the latest global companies to embrace this emerging form of financing is Mercedes-Benz, which converted an €11 million revolving credit facility into a sustainability-linked loan aligned with its Ambition 2039 sustainability strategy. According to Mercedes-Benz's Head of Treasury and Investor Relations, this "paves the way for Mercedes-Benz to play a leading role in the area of sustainable finance."